Levin Richmond Terminal has a rich history in the metals industry. In 1939, David and Richard Levin pooled $1,000 each to found Levin Machinery and Salvage Company with three employees in San Jose.
The primary business in the Santa Clara Valley at the time was agriculture, and during the war years the primary business of Levin Machinery and Salvage was selling government surplus hardware to the agricultural community.
The end of the war signaled the beginning of a new era in the Santa Clara Valley. Agriculture was beginning to give way to manufacturing. The great migration to California brought rapid growth to the valley. As the area grew and changed, the company also grew and changed.
Sydney Levin, the brother of co-founders David and Richard Levin, completed his tour as an officer in the U.S. Navy and joined the company. David Levin retired in 1951. At that time, the company name was changed to Levin Metals Corporation (LMC) to better reflect the new business emphasis. In the late 1960's, Rubin Lewon, a brother-in-law became part of the company's management team.
In the post-war years, the company's markets were changing and steel mills were closing. Demand for scrap steel was increasing in the rapidly industrializing Far East.
The 1960's and 1970's saw the company moving into other geographical areas as well as other market areas. In response to the need for marine facilities to ship scrap to Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan, divisions were opened in the ports of Richmond and Redwood City on the San Francisco Bay. In addition to leasing and chartering ocean-going cargo ships, a subsidiary company was formed to purchase and operate the company's own 25,000-ton capacity scrap transport ships, the Golden State and the Hana Maui.
In 1976 Sydney Levin retired and in 1979, the Vice President of Finance, William Benak became the President of the company. In 1981, the company acquired additional maritime facilities near the existing Levin operations in Richmond. The bulk cargo terminal was originally called the Parr-Richmond Terminal Corporation. At this time the company was renamed Levin Richmond Terminal Corporation (LRTC) and expanded its scrap metal export and dry bulk cargo operations. The terminal handled scrap metal, ores, fluorspar, potash, chrome ore, bauxite, limestone and various other bulk commodities.
The bulk cargo terminal and a tank farm were served by an industrial switching railroad, called the Parr Terminal Railroad. The Parr Terminal Railroad was a wholly owned subsidiary of Parr-Richmond Terminal. The Railroad facilitated shipments to be delivered to the dock for expeditious handling.
In the 1980's Sims, a large scrap metal company located in Australia wanted to develop more of an overseas presence in the U. S. In 1988, Richard Levin sold the scrap metal operations of the company to Sims. The Levin family retained the bulk marine terminal, the railroad and some of the surrounding property.
In 2002, the Parr Terminal Railroad was expanded to a full Short Line railroad which connects with the Union Pacific Railroad and the BNSF. The Short Line railroad was renamed the Richmond Pacific Railroad Corporation (RPRC). The Richmond Pacific Railroad switches customers within the city of Richmond. The railroad services 18 customers and continues to grow.
Levin Richmond Terminal Corporation and the Richmond Pacific Railroad Corporation continue to be owned and operated by Richard Levin's family. Gary Levin is the President and CEO of both companies.